Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The First Amendment

I knew that as soon as I wrote this post I'd think a bunch of other phrases Lily says and sure enough I did. Some are worth mentioning, so here is an amendment or tack-on to my last post:
Of course she says no-no, her first phrase, and I count that as a phrase since technically it does contain two words, hehe. Another one of my favorites is when she says good girl, which I use emphatically whenever she goes potty on the potty chair. Or, that is, when she used to. Our potty train seems to have made an unscheduled stop in Refuse-to-go-ville, population: one. Anyway, you'd have to hear it to appreciate it, but she pushes all of her air through her nose in a nasaly gihhhh gihh. I just wish she'd say it more often. She also says hey now, or more accurately hey no, in reference to this song.  From a very early age we have seen musical inclinations in her and she sang the tune of this so recognizably that I knew exactly which song she meant even though I couldn't have hummed it myself in a million years. And you should SEE her dance to it! I guess probably her first Slovak phrase was one which, when roughly translated, means it ain't. Babka would ask her if something, like her soup bowl, was hot and she'd touch it with her little hand and respond with a smile and a head shake, no it ain't. I'm a stickler for good grammar, but it's still pretty cute. And her longest phrase is also in Slovak; on the phone (block, Lego, hairbrush etc.) she asks, hallo Babka, si tam? Hello Babka, are you there? So, we're getting there. I know any day now she's just going to explode into full-on soliloquies, but for now the girl makes herself exceedingly clear with one-word queries or answers. And when she can't, so far pterodactyl-mode has been working well enough for her.

Here are a few snippets of our life lately:
Going to get ice cream



Rare moment of hand-holding, aka obedience

Fearless


One of several hideous ''statues'' on our square





 

No comments:

Post a Comment