Friday, May 27, 2016

Story-a-day - Day Seventeen

This post is part of a series of short stories.

Day Seventeen

I sat down in my sunny yellow kitchen and poured myself a steaming cup of strong coffee. I had to use a pot holder because the handle had long since melted off in the heat of the gas flame. I poured just a touch of milk into it and watched it cloud around and become milky. It was my late morning coffee break time and I was so ready for it. Not that I have any other coffee break times. It was late morning I’m trying to say. It had been a long morning of laundry and vacuuming and bed making and decision making. I hate decision making. What to keep, what to throw out, where to put this, what to cook, what to eat, whites or colors, Vivaldi or Ella. I was just plain worn out. Our kitchen window perfectly frames the sidewalk out front. I finally washed it yesterday and was enjoying the new-found clarity it provided. ‘’You missed a spot,’’ I said aloud. I smiled. Two young ladies walked by. They were dressed to the nines. Maybe 14 or so. One wore a short black skirt and nylons. She had high heels and struggled to walk in them. Her tummy, although covered, was spilling over the waist of her skirt in a too-tight tank top. A T.T.T.T. ‘’Oh, honey,’’ I said aloud. Her friend was as skinny as a rail but equally awkward. She also wore heels for what looked like the first time. Her hair was frizzy and her makeup was visible from the street. ‘’Bless their hearts,’’ I said. I took a sip, but my coffee was still too hot. I like it lukewarm. A pigeon flew a few times near my window, which is not typical. ‘’Don’t you dare,’’ I said. I got up and checked the outside corner and sure enough, there were the first few strands of a nest. ‘’You filthy rat,’’ I said while I used a broom to destroy its work. An older man turned when I said it. ‘’Oops. Good morning!’’ I called. He looked at his watch. ‘’It’s almost lunch time!’’ ‘’Oh, haha (I actually said the word haha), good DAY.’’ He tipped his head.
I sat back down at my table and straightened the table cloth. I matched up the lines to the edges of the table and reached for a cookie. You can’t have coffee without cookies, am I right? One bite and crumbs were everywhere. I stood up and got a saucer out of the cupboard. It was the last remnant from my grandma’s dishes and I treasured its every use. No flowers or decorations, no gold plating, nothing special really, just pink, but it was my grandma’s. And that was special. A boy rode by on a scooter. His hair was too long. ‘’Darn kids these days,’’ I said, like I was 80 years old. I chuckled a little. I tried my coffee. ‘’Ah, that’s better.’’ I reached over and flipped on the radio. Every hour on the hour they have a little blurb about health or science or some little bit of interest. They were talking about sleep. They said people who get up early and get the most early-morning sunlight are slimmer than those who sleep in. ‘’Or maybe it’s ‘cause they don’t eat too many cookies,’’ I bit into another. I saw our mailman on the sidewalk. I jumped up and threw open the window, ‘’anything for me, Harry?’’ I asked cheerfully. ‘’Yeah. Bills.’’ ‘’Ohhhhh,’’ I whined. You can keep those.’’ ‘’No thanks, got enough of my own,’’ he smiled. He walked up to the window and passed them to me. ‘’Hank at work?’’ ‘’Ye-e-e-es. How else do you think we pay for these nasty things?’’ I waved the stack in the air.  ‘’Don’t say I never gave you anything,’’ he called, walking away. ‘’Thanks a heap!’’ I yelled.

I gulped down the last of my coffee and shoved the rest of the cookie into my mouth. I gently set the saucer in the sink and brushed the crumbs from the table into my hand and tossed them into the garbage. I rinsed my hands and dried them on my apron. It was blue with white pockets with lilacs painted on them. ‘’That’s that,’’ I said, and went to the closet and pulled out a dust rag and a bottle of lemon oil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment