Tuesday, June 7, 2011

More Kitchen Adventures

Tonight I made this salad. I got the recipe from your friend and mine, Joy the Baker. Apparently she's a cooker, a baker and a salad-stick maker. That was bad. This salad is not bad. It's good. It's great. It's sweet and sour and crunchy and soft and creamy and tangy and, well, a party for your tastebuds. How's that for a cooking cliche? (Certainly the oldest in the [cook]book). If you like oranges you'll love this salad. If you like avocados you'll love this salad. If you like salad you'll love this salad. And if you like all of the above, heaven help ya. I chose arugula for my greens because it looked nice and fresh in the store and I'd never had it before. It did not disappoint. It has a decidedly nutty flavor. I also had to substitute (gulp) white vinegar for the red wine vinegar, but it was still delicious. Also I used kefir instead of the egg yolk. I'm just a little bit iffy with the raw eggs, what with the e-coli outbreak around these parts and all. But our oranges are wonderfully flavorful right now so the fresh-squeezed OJ picked up some slack, I'm sure. And in a rare bit of luck, the bought-today avocado was ripe to perfection. I wanted to eat the whole salad, which is saying something because even though I love them, I usually get sick of them pretty quickly. Highly recommended.

4 comments:

  1. Yummy. It's funny you experimented with this great idea. My favorite salad in the world is the Asian Salad at Mongolian grill and it comes with baby oranges on top. Oranges on salad are awesome! Avocadoes like you added probably make a salad taste even better. Thanks for the idea and sharing your discoveries with the world. Good luck with your future cooking adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Faith. Yes, fruit on salads is a win-win for me : ) and thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you fired up a new blog! This is great! I should start blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lance!! You totally should. With all..that..extra..time you have : )))

    ReplyDelete