Wednesday, October 15, 2014

A Snail and the Moon

     Last Friday morning I took Rosy out for a nature walk in the hopes of finding some elderberries. You can make a delicious syrup out of them with just raw honey, filtered water and the berries. It's supposed to be fantastic for flu, coughs, many other illnesses and building up immunity and it's packed with vitamins and minerals. Unfortunately I just missed the boat. From what friends tell me, they berried (my word) in September. But never fear, our trip was not all for naught. Naught in the least, wah wah wah. We saw lots and lots of ladybugs, snails of all sizes, from great big to teeny-tiny, a caterpillar, a hawk and...a FOX!!! I was so excited, and a little scared. (I couldn't remember if they were dangerous or not). It was hopping across the field, heading into the woods we were heading into. But before you think I mistook a rabbit for a fox, it wasn't exactly hopping, but kind of scampering. That's actually what first caught my attention. The way it moved was different than other animals I'd seen. I did actually think it was a bunny at first. Then I saw the long tail. I had only seen one fox before in my life, and that was at the top of the Great Divide, crossing the highway in front of us. I tried to take a picture (of this fox on Friday), but I superzoomed it and while trying to keep my eyes on it, got a nice picture of the sky. Ah well. Some things are better left unphotographed, am I right? Anyway, the takeaway from this little trip (aside from seeing all those creatures) was two-fold. I spotted several rosehip bushes, which Lily and I returned to twice and took our fill, and Rosy began to love to look for snails in all her books. (Snails and hedgehogs, althought not very common in American children's books, are very common characters in Slovak kids' books). So now Rosy's two favorite words are moon and slimák. She enthusiastically looks for the moon every night, and falls asleep looking at a book with a moon in it. I think there is a birthday party theme in here somewhere.











Autumn rubies




No comments:

Post a Comment