Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Pigtails and Earrings

Lily started going to an after-pre-school class at the art school behind our apartment building. I wasn't too excited about her joining an after-school activity so young until I saw her excitement at the prospect. Plus, it's only one hour a week and they do a wide range of things, from art to drama to dance. She loves it. The first week she made a cat out of clay and this week she made a hedgehog out of half an apple with toothpicks stuck in it. Then yesterday Rosy ran up to me excitedly yelling ''apple! apple!'' holding Lily's hedgehog with a big old bite out of it. So I sent Tomáš this SMS 


to which he responsibly replied ''it's all right as long as she didn't eat a toothpick.'' I had to smile. And now the hedgehog has started to attract fruit flies, so I think he might make a quick and quiet exit into the trash while no one is looking. 
Even before the art school, Lily had started drawing a lot more, which just does my heart glad. The other day when I was admiring one of her pieces, Tomáš told me under his breath that I should not expect much out of it or something to that effect and I absolutely don't. That is to say my joy in it is completely from the drawings, that she is drawing. I don't have any lofty ideas about her being the next Alphonse Mucha (although I will not refuse its possibility either) and I will not put any pressure on her to draw well, or better. For me it's just a joy every time she does something new to see what she's come up with, how she sees the world. Before I had kids, I told my friend Eva that I always wanted to have kids that were artistic. Her girls are gifted artists and she said she always wanted kids who were good at sports. I said that I feared mine would be. I was kidding, of course. Kind of. I will be happy with (just about) anything they choose to pursue, as long as they do it from their heart and with joy. But I've got a soft spot for art and creativity, although Rosy's already showing promise in futbal. She's got a mean kick on her that makes her daddy proud. And that makes me smile too.   

We made wrapping paper for last week's birthdays. I asked Lily if that was a robot and she said, ''no. It's God.'' I thought those were His hands but she said they're balloons.  

 



The Magnadoodle. Worth its weight in gold. 
Playing Long Hair again
Pigtails and earrings


Toes

Fingers




Us
What a blessing to have a child with such a zest for life. Up for anything. Always game. If anyone can teach me to be fearless, it will be her. We love you, Lilinka.

No comments:

Post a Comment