Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Full Weekend


     Weekends around the Štrbavý household are usually very, um, chill. But last weekend we had a chance to get out and visit and be visited. Tomáš and I keep Skype on throughout the day while he is at work so we can chat here and there to ask little questions or whathaveyous. On Friday I told him that it would make my week if we could go here with Bug when he got off work to have something to drink. He gets off early on Fridays and it's right next door to our apartment building. I guess it's the American in me (ha!) that makes me feel like going out all the time, but the Slovak in him just doesn't understand this. I know it's good to save money and yes we can have it cheaper at home but to me going out feels like an event, even if it's just for a 60 cent Kofola. I don't mean to insinuate that my husband is cheap. In reality I'm waaay cheaper than he is. He just doesn't get my penchant for dives and seedy pubs and the appeal of sitting in a public place rather than in the comfort of our own home. But I digress. Last Friday he indeed made my week. There was precious little in the way of people-watching, but as it turns out the only person I was interested in watching was one little lady in a stroller anyway. So after that wild and crazy outing Tomáš wanted to watch a movie called Stay. I asked who was in it and he answered quickly, "Gregory McEwan,'' and I laughed really hard, thinking he just made up a random name until I realized he meant Ewan McGregor and then we laughed even harder. We were excited because both of us like Ryan Gosling, but in the end we were just confused and left with the image you never thought possible in our heads; a terrifying Janeane Garofalo.  I wouldn't recommend it.
     Saturday morning was lovely and warm until a storm rolled in which, incidentally, was also quite lovely. At four we went to one of Tomáš' best friend's house for his birthday. They actually moved into one side of the grade school Lily will go to that the town has renovated into a flat, and it was really cool! Everything in it felt like a flat except for the double door to the living room, which felt like a gymnasium. Lily got to say hi to three cute little boys, we had a quick cup of pomegranate tea and probably the most delicious schnitzel I've ever had and then I had to run home for a quick put-to-bed. Tomáš stayed at Pid'o's for several more hours and I watched Project Catwalk (Britain's cheap version of America's Project Runway) online. I know, I live life on the edge.
     Then on Sunday we had our dear friends, the Baloghs, over for burritos. It was a nice time except for the fact that my threadbare hosting skills were made painfully apparent as Tomáš scurried around after me offering drinks and heating up soup. I've never been the world's best hostess, but I must have left what skills I did have on the other side of the ocean altogether. Shameful. Anyhow, they were gracious with our store-bought cookies and scurrying and in the end we had a sweet little time together, highlighted by their three girls' sweetness with Lily and Monika tromping around in Eva's heels.
     One last little (tiny) tidbit, Lily now has one central incisor. Hehe, I just thought it'd be fun to say that. She has taken to chewing on her pacifier, which totally cracks me up and reminds me a little of (sorry Mom) this.
This reminds me of this.
These remind me of Missoula farmers markets and my birthday.
This reminds me of my brothers.
Thumbs up to barefoot weather on our walk Friday.
And this reminds me a little of this
Pid'o, Adamko, Lily and Daddy.

Janka, Eva, Jaro, Monika and Lucka.

No comments:

Post a Comment