Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Post-baby Run

Yesterday I ran for the first time since having Lily. It'd been a good long time. I was trying to remember how long it had actually been and I couldn't. It's been that long. I know I wasn't running when I got pregnant (haha that sounded funny..around the time I got pregnant) because it was winter, and I'm pretty sure by the time spring hit I was leary about running pregnant (although I may have run some), even though they say it's safe. So I guess it's been something like a year and a half. Eesh. During my pregnancy I walked a lot. Often three hours a day or so, between all my teaching gigs and the foot time required to get from one to the next (and the next and next). Then three weeks before the birth I hurt my back. Or, rather, my back hurt me. There was no one thing I did that caused it to go out, just one day I almost couldn't walk. And then some days I couldn't walk. There were times when I had to crawl around our flat. My mom thinks it was sciatica. It hung on for quite a while even after the birth. Then, of course, there was the craziness of having a newborn coupled with another winter, and my running routine got pushed not to the back burner, but behind the stove all together. Until yesterday. I had been wanting to get out and run for a long time. I missed it. I think I was scared I'd hurt myself or be so out of shape I'd literally be unable to run even in the slowest, most awkward way. I had visions of setting foot to trail and melting into a pool of Jell-o right there like a cartoon. But it went fine. I only ran about 20 minutes to start out with because I can feel my overall weakness. I had never had problems with my knees in my life, but after the pregnancy I started to have creaky knees and other new noises : ) So I plan to just build up slowly. Don't be a hero, as they say. But it felt wonderful. I went at 6:30 after Tomáš got home and Bug was asleep. The weather was gorgeous, the fields neon yellow and green.

No comments:

Post a Comment