Saturday, April 16, 2011

Czechoslovak Superstar

Ok, let's get one thing straight right here and now; I am not an American Idol fan. I don't know that I've ever even seen a whole episode. But when you live in a country as small as Slovakia, with not a lot of television or movie production, the Czechoslovak version is pretty fun to follow, especially when you have an interesting cast of characters. Tomáš and I were both keeping our fingers crossed (well, holding our thumbs, actually, as Slovaks do) for this American boy, Noah, whose family are missionaries with the Brotherhood Church in the Czech Republic. But sadly (and I really mean sadly; the hostess of the show cried and it was evident that people really loved him) he was voted off, so now I'm holding my thumbs for Czech reggae boy Michal Šeps. You really have to see him to believe him. My mom really loved him too. Reggae is probably the last kind of music I'd choose to listen to, but this guy has so much heart and lack of inhibition, he's really enjoyable to watch. Stick with it at least until you hear him play his mouth trumpet. : ) After one performance, one of the judges started to say something about his poor English and he jumped in and said something like, ''Oh, I don't care about English,'' which I thought was such a bold move, considering they easily could have slammed him for it, but instead it seemed to endear him to them like it did me. And speaking of endearing, his version of Louis Armstrong's What a Wonderful World (vhat a vonderfool vorld : ) brought tears to my eyes. Sure, there are stronger singers in this competition, but for me heart trumps all. I'm excited to see what happens tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment