Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Hidden Valley

Last Saturday
End of March (Photo courtesy of my Aunt Susan)
Off-roadin' 
Also Susan's photo
This post is mostly for my family, because I promised I'd show them just how beautiful this place is once everything turns green. We took this walk (it's right on the edge of our neighborhood) together when they were here, and then Tomáš and I took Monkey there last Saturday. We had thoughts of trying to do a loop that ends up at this reservoir, but I was worried it would take longer than the one-and-a-half hour we had before Lily's feeding time. Tomáš tried out the baby carrier that my mom sent, and Lily loved it. It was so warm out that I put Bug in what Tomáš called her ''1920s swimming costume.'' It was really her first time being exposed to direct sunlight, and I admit I was nervous. I put a little bit of sunscreen on her and just kept checking her. We started out with a little sun hat and had to switch when the wind picked up (I come prepared : ). This walk has very special meaning to me. I call it Hidden Valley because it reminds me of the Hidden Valley Ranch commercials from my childhood. These pictures really don't do it justice. It is breathtaking. But the reason it is special to me is because I really felt like God gave me this place. One day in Spring of 2008, a few months after I'd moved here, I was feeling kind of depressed. That morning I read a devotion about how God knows perfectly how to refresh you, just what you need. Then I felt this urging to take a walk in a certain direction. I had to travel to teach that day and there was this strong resistence, like ''Don't go for a walk, relax and enjoy your time before work at home, etc.'' But something in me pushed through, I headed out for that walk and when I came around this little turn I was filled with joy. It was stunning. It is the only place I've found here where I feel like I can truly get alone. Sometimes I really miss the solitude that Montana offers, and this walk has surprisingly little foot traffic. Just enough to make me feel safe. I like to run up past those buildings in the first picture, to a tiny village called Prusy, where Tomáš' grandma was born. I wish these pictures showed its true beauty. Those fields look like they're glowing when the sun shines on them. I guess you'll just have to come and see for yourself ; )

1 comment: