Thursday, October 11, 2012

Bump

     This morning I wanted to make a quick trip to the grocery store to pick up a few things for Lily's birthday party this Saturday. Then I remembered that there is no such thing as a quick trip with a toddler. Especially in cold weather when tights are necessary under multiple layers of clothing, which all requires lots of chasing and plenty of come-here-ing, not to mention getting myself ready and out the door which, let me tell you, is no small feat. Pun unfortunately intended. I wanted to go on foot without the stroller because Lily loves the freedom, and really needs practice holding my hand. It actually ended up being pretty great because it was a sunshiny, chilly, perfect morning and she did better than usual with holding my hand. Plus I got the pineapples I'd hoped to get before they sold out. And happy tights for Bug, on sale. I couldn't stop smiling and kissing her the whole time as she called out things she saw like, ''tomatoes!'' ''boy!'' ''second boy!'' etc. And after multiple stops to pick up rocks, we made it home and I started in on my well-versed returning-from-the-store routine (in order of importance): take off her shoes and coat, take off my shoes and pants, put the groceries out of reach, wash my hands, quickly get perishables into fridge, take off the rest of her outside clothes, wash her hands, start to heat up water for her bottle, get into home clothes, put away other groceries etc. etc. all while trying to prevent impending disasters and tending to her cries for crayons or an out-of-reach book. And after I got her down for her nap I started thinking that, man, things are not as easy as they used to be. With this giant belly on the front of me. I had to kind of smile, thinking about getting down on the floor to put Lily's shoes on and having a hard time reaching around myself, or what a sight it must be watching me get up from being on the floor. Or, for that matter, what a sight it must be watching me do just about anything nowadays. Even typing this now, I felt a little sheepish in front of Tomáš as I tried to reach the keyboard from so far away. But it all makes me so happy. There is a beautiful, somersaulting baby girl growing inside of me and that is miraculous. I get the privilege of being home to her for nine months and that is amazing. I cannot wait to meet her. And I cannot wait for her to meet her older sister. Every day Tomáš and I are more in love with Lily and I know it will be the same with this little one. This makes me so excited.
   

1 comment: