Thursday, October 25, 2012

Sunshine and Flowers

     You know those days that come along about once in a blue moon that go just exactly how you would like them to? And it's not that you had the day all planned out or anything, but everything that happens is just...perfectly wonderful. I had one of those days last Sunday. I woke up to Lily chirping happily in her crib, like I do every morning, and I prepared to get the show on the road when Tomáš turned to me and asked if I'd like to sleep in. ''I'd like to,'' I said, as I turned to hug him, and he stood to his feet and quietly closed the door behind himself. I didn't sleep any longer, but it's always just glorious to lay in bed (especially when you weigh as much as I do) and listen to him get Lily dressed and make her breakfast. I got up and made waffles with raspberry puree and fresh whipped cream and watched them play Legos in the middle of the kitchen floor. The morning fog burned off to reveal a gorgeous fall day and we just spent our morning as a family, playing with Lily wherever her whims took us. There was dancing which, when Tomáš really cuts loose and Lily follows suit, might be one of the biggest joys of my life. Then after chicken burritos for lunch (a delicacy around here, I assure you) with CHEDDAR CHEESE, no less (which is not available here except for when one grocery store is having their British Week), I took a snooze along with Lily. When Lily woke up, Tomáš suggested we go to his parents' for a visit. He helped out with the apple gathering and Babka and I chased after our little wildfire and it was all just so wonderful. Every day has wonderful things that happen, but it's not every day that everything that happens is wonderful. 
     Tonight I was watching Bug do something or other and I just made a little mental note about how happy she makes me. I know everyone loves their kids, but every day it's just like complete and total adoration. I just sit and enjoy her, adore her. And I know it's the same for Tomáš because I can feel it and I can hear it in his words. It's not that I never get frustrated, but those are by far the minority of my feelings. For the most part I just look at her and wonder at her...wonderfulness. As anyone with a little bit of insight knows, it's the little quirks that make kids wonderfully special, that make people wonderfully special. And I had to laugh a little bit tonight, thinking of that, when I asked Lily for a hug. Little lady gives lousy hugs. Kind of robotic as she leans into you for her obligatory five seconds (more on that in a minute) and claps you on the back kind of mechanically, waiting for it to be over and she can get back to whatever it was she was doing. Let me clarify that; a snuggler, Lily is not. Nor has she ever been. She's far too curious and far too busy to waste time cuddling, when there is so much of the world to explore. From day one when I tried to hold her close to myself, she would throw her little head back in protest, and we had to hold her facing outwards from that day until the day she learned to walk. I don't have a single picture of her sleeping on my chest or Tomáš'. But (and that's a big but) when I say she gives lousy hugs it's a bit of a misnomer because at the same time they are the best hugs in the world. They're not warm and squishy hugs, but when she pauses to come close to us it's rare and precious. As for the five seconds, out of a desire for longer hugs Tomáš invented this thing where, when she hugs him, they count to five. Cute, quirky, definitely a little bit funny and totally them. And these are the things that bring us joy. If we just stop and let them. Ok, I'll stop gushing now...

Some days just call for a fancy cup


Post prego photo shoot





It's no Montana fall, but this helps




We went looking for the goat, but she was too far away. The tiny, faint moon, however, Lily spotted in a second.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment