Sunday, March 11, 2012

Read-y or not

Are y'all with me when I say there is nothing better than a toddler coming to you and shoving a book into your hands, and when you sit down, plopping into your lap, cozying in to be read to? I will never, ever tire of it. I have, however, already tired of that VERY hungry caterpillar and how those dogs GO. They go. But what's so wonderful about it is that Lily has not tired of it. Nor has she tired of even simpler books, which just makes me love her all the more. She watches with great interest while I read those real edge-of-your-seaters, Fuzzy Bear Gets Dressed and other nailbiters like Toys and Colors. I couldn't be more thrilled with her love of books. I really hope I can encourage her natural interest and curiosity through creativity, and foster her imagination. I want to be an active parent and not give in to the oh-so-tempting lesser ''activities'' like television and movies. I know it's not realistic that she will never watch them, and there are some great cartoons and shows out there, but I don't want it to be routine. I say this only because I have tended to take the easy road in much of my life, and I do not want to do this with Lily. I want the absolute best for her. More reading and creating and make-believing and only occasional sitting-in-front-of-a-box. We'll see. I know it's easier said than done. Hope you had a great weekend!
Love this face

This book was a gift from our friend Sylvia

She loves it. When she sees it she squeals, ''baaaaaaaaaaby!''
                                                                                                                       

2 comments: