Wednesday, November 5, 2014

No Matter How You Dress It, It's Still A Parsnip

     I found a bag of parsnips at the grocery store for seven cents or something, so I grabbed them, along with all my other discount produce (full post to follow). Then this evening I googled ''what to do with parsnips,'' which I suppose is funnier than googling ''parsnip recipes,'' but never mind. I found what I was looking for. In this one on Martha a couple of times she mentions that they have a slight sweet flavor, which I had never concluded myself, but intrigued me. I make apples fried in butter with cinnamon quite a bit and I thought, hey! If I can get an extra helping of veggies in there, why not? Well, I'll tell you why not. Because they ruin it! Or almost. I found myself rooting around for the apples and quickly eating up the parsnips to get it over with. The girls too. Well, Rosy just flat out spit them out in the bowl. But the rest was tasty. We never ate them growing up and I remember my mom often talking about how much she hated them. I think she called them ''those white carrot thingies.'' Ok, maybe I embellished on the thingies. And maybe she meant rutabagas, nevertheless we never ate either one. (No, I just googled rutabagas and they are not the white carrot thingies). Anyhoo, I might try some kind of mixed mash recipe in the future, banking on the other fruit or veggie masking the parsnip flavor, because I'd really like to like them. Or at least eat them. To my knowledge there's really only one food I can't eat, which are beets. I've made a valiant effort with those too, but still it's mostly mind over matter to get them down the hatch. I've liked them in borscht, but for the most part they still invoke that gag reflex. Here are some things that don't invoke a gag reflex:
Alright, Tomáš would beg to differ, but kimchi is far from gag-worthy in my book.

Ok, some might gag at butter coffee, but the gold rings on black is so mesmerizing!

Birthday balloons. I just can't take them down.

     I went to link back to these two sweaters, which the girls wore in our Christmas card last year and I couldn't believe I had never posted it. Lily's is this incredible, soft Italian lambswool that I got for 50 cents at Humana, and Rosy's, well, Rosy's has a penguin on it! And a pom-pom! I purposely had them wear them baggy last year with tights because it's just so darn cute. But they fit them this year, which is almost equally as cute.
The handmade gifted cowl (in grey and cream!) the sweater, the scooter, the backpack, Strawberry Shortcake in hand...

Love the Art Garfunkel boots
Merry Christmas!






An all-time favorite of her




velvet

Ok, ok enough about the sweater...I just love it! Gotta start brainstorming this year's pic! Or maybe I should let it happen organically like this one did. Those are always the best! So, from parsnips to kimchi to Christmas sweaters...cheers, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. You should try beets the Chinese way. They're stir fried with vinegar. It's the only way I like beets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, that actually sounds kind of GOOD!!! Peel, chop, fry with oil and add vinegar?

    ReplyDelete