Monday, November 24, 2014

Thanksgiving

      We accidentally had Thanksgiving early. My friend told me she had three Thanksgiving parties to go to last week so I naturally assumed Thanksgiving was last Thursday. I didn't look it up, nor did I think very long or hard about it, obviously. We always celebrate on the following Saturday since, of course, Tomáš doesn't get the day off. So this year it was the previous Saturday, which suited me just fine. I never would have known to put it into words until I journaled about it the other night, but Thanksgiving is the loneliest day of the year for me. I suppose this is due to two things: I am the only person I know here who celebrates this day, in other words there's not a collective feeling of thanksgiving like there is in the US, of course, so I'm just left feeling alone. Tomáš is happy to eat a nice meal, but other than that he has no real interest in celebrating the day. Secondly, Thanksgiving was always my family's favorite holiday. At least some members'. And I miss that warm, cozy, homey feeling. I guess this is why having it early suited me fine, because I won't feel quite so much like I'm missing out the day of. That, and The Garfield Thanksgiving Special might have helped a little too. Next year's mission: to create new family traditions with our girls so they can help me celebrate.
     And speaking of not celebrating, I had been faithfully following a gluten-free diet for about 3 1/2 months (wah wah wah) but on Rosy's birthday I broke down. A couple more days on the wagon and then Saturday I broke down again. Can you guess what broke me? Pie, of course. I paid the price with headaches, stomach aches, joint pain and eye weirdness. Whether or not it was worth it remains to be seen. Depends on how long the pains last, but wow were those pies good.
     In unrelated news, I think I am finally going to have to break down and buy myself a new phone. A new-to-me phone. I would say (with pride) I think I have the oldest phone in Bánovce, but that honor belongs to Dedko who still sports a brick phone. My phone is held together by a rubber band, the screen recently cracked when Rosy dropped it (which is pretty incredible in itself that it took it this long to do so), you cannot hear the incoming caller without putting it on loudspeaker and two weeks ago it got stuck permanently on T-9, which is only in English, meaning that in order to write SMSs in Slovak I have to keep going into another window to type each word. But it wasn't until I found out from two people that they had sent me messages that did not go through that I finally decided to fork out the 14,99 for a new one.  



Balloon dancin' 


 Family portrait take one:

Knife up the nose
 Take two:
Lily's mean face
 Take three:
Knife down the throat
 Take four:
Something of a keeper

She loved my pie too!

2 comments:

  1. I guess you will just have to have another thanksgiving!! 2 thanksgivings!!!!

    ReplyDelete